12.07.2009

Dinner on Sunday Night

So the day was steady and bleek at work. Instead of visions of sugar plums dancing I had visions of plates of savory crepes. Something about lemongrass and creamy sauces has been stuck in my head for days now. So I sent a little txt birdy off to my favorite kitchen owner. And back they came with a message of Yum.................. So here goes;


Emily was so very kind to find a pair of pretty crepe recipes for me for inspiration while I was at work. Though when I looked them over they seemed more crape then crepe. Who lets people post these things. (man am I going to hear it for that). Any way they did give me a good ratio for oil to liquid and liquid to flour. I just adjusted from cold water and/or creme fraiche to Milk and egg. And here we go then;
Chick Pea Crepes
1ea egg
2ea egg yolk
3tbl Olive oil
1/2c milk
1cup Sifted Chick Pea Flour
Vigorously whisk together liquid ingredients. Incorporate flour 1/4cup at a time. Set batter aside until fillings are ready. To cook pour batter into a very hot skillet. Should take about a minute on the first side (until you see bubbles 1/2 way towards the center) then flip and ten seconds on the second side. Note that since these are gluten free they do not roll as nicely as most crepes. I will have to modify for rollability. Will try increasing eggs and using steamed rice flour......


Lemon Grass Sauce
2 egg whites
1tbl lemon grass puree
2 strips cucumber peel
1/2c yogurt
salt, pepper
Place all ingredients except yogurt into a food processor set on high and run until frothy. Add yogurt and puree until smooth. Store chilled.


Cucumber filling
1ea Leek
1ea Cucumber
1/4c White Wine
1/2tsp Poppy Seeds
1/4tsp Salt
Dice the leeks. Peel seed and medium dice the cucumber. Sautee the leeks in a hot skillet until they begin to caramelize. Add cucumbers, poppy seeds and salt. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the wine and reduce while stirring. Should take 4-5 minutes on medium high. Reserve warm.

Now that that is all done we shall plate. Layers of crepe, Lemongrass sauce, then Strained Cucumber filling. Repeat. Then eat. Yum Yum.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I volunteer for eating the further chickpea crepe experiments. Also they were more pliable reheated. With left over sauce and some goat feta you have my delicious lunch.

Nilium said...

Just wait and see what I throw together for next time!!!!