12.08.2009

Pinot or No?

So I will admit it, much like Merlot I am not a huge fan of Pinot Noir. I have had a nice attractive Italian Pinot, $22.49/btl Not a huge wow wine but nice. What then am I here to talk about? How about Babich Winemakers Reserve Marlborough Pinot Noir. I got the chance to sample a bottle of the 2005. And I do say if Pinot tasted this way more often I would be much happier. A full jammy nose, similar to a light cali zin came through.The color was much darker than I had expected. The body was nice and full. This is a Pinot Noir that would go amazingly well with duck.
Not to say that pinot shouldn't go with duck, but...... This wine shows wonderful hints of oak on the nose. The body is medium with not much at all in the way of legs. Please note though that I don't find this a fault just factual. The flavor has some nice berry flavors, overripe strawberry bordering on raspberry with hints of cherry. The tannis are still a little forward for me, I really would like to try this wine again in about two years, should be almost velvet by then. Currently available in the Madison Wi area for $17.99 a bottle.

No comments: